[pct-l] Controlled Fires - White Rim Trail

I have been gone for a few days, but I just have to respond to this.

>While were on the subject, is it really  a good idea to pay money to fight
>forest fires? Seems to me it just invites arson. I think a combination of
the
>National Guard and the U.S. army should be used instead. Costs are fixed
and
>no overtime pay.

Since the fall of the USSR in 1989, the United States Armed Forces have been
cut by 50 percent.  During that same time, their worldwide mission has
increased, and their pay, adjusted for inflation, has decreased. The average
Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine spends more time away from home than at
any time in our history.  Why should they be ordered to fight fires, a
mission you don't think is worth paying for?  If YOU were ordered to fight a
forest fire, would YOU want overtime pay for the overtime hours you worked?
Or here's an idea; while the military are fighting forest fires, YOU could
go to Afganistan and perform their mission, at their rate of pay.  No
overtime. The military defend us all, even those who donot appreciate or
understand them.
BTW, it's US Army.

Hike on !!  Bob Riess at the Trailhead in San Diego