[pct-l] Controlled Fires - White Rim Trail

In a message dated 8/31/02 10:20:48 AM, samualdavidsimon@earthlink.net writes:

<< What would your suggestion be for taking care of
this problem?  Putting handcuffs on trees probably won't help anything.

Somehow events like what happened in Los Alamos - basically a rogue
superintendent who didn't pay attention to his own agencies weather forecast
- have to be avoided. Someone independent should have been overseeing and
approving the burn, as a check if nothing else.
 While were on the subject, is it really  a good idea to pay money to fight
forest fires? Seems to me it just invites arson. I think a combination of the
National Guard and the U.S. army should be used instead. Costs are fixed and
no overtime pay.
  Anyone out there biked the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands? I got invited on
a trip that took 2 years of waiting for the permit holder. Going Oct 1-5.
I've never mountain biked in my life, so I'm wondering if 100 miles is going
to wear my butt out. Literally! Supposed to be one of the best mountain bike
trails in the world. I borrowed a bike and love it to death! I plan to ride
everyday until we go.