[pct-l] Washington conditions

I am all for ultralight and shaving every "unneeded" ounce...  BUT,
if the only reason ultralight is even possible at all is because of
planning, preparation, and prudence.  If you don't do _all_ of them,
then the chances of injury increase dramatically.  And because you
must be prudent, your chances of success also hinge greatly on LUCK:
- if it snows too much that year, then you are done.
- if a big storm rolls in while you are high on a pass, then you must
retreat.
- if a pass is too dangerous and you have no axe, then you have to
turn around.
- if it gets too cold for your one fleece jacket, then you'd better
find shelter.

Ultralight doesn't have to mean that you take ultra-risks. But, if
that is what a "thru-hike" is worth to you, then that is fine and no
one should judge you for it.  If Han Solo thought that the risk was
worth it for him, then we should not judge him for it and revel in
his misery.  His lesson speaks for itself to anyone who is interested
in learning from it, there is no need to rub salt in Han's wounds in
order to seem wise from your armchair.

peace,
dude