[pct-l] 1977 Thruhike disqualified. Go back and do it again.

> Looking at the 77 Kelty Kids, it is clear that the pack lengths are too
> short. Dick had not yet added that second horizonal stay yet. The load is

Actually, one feature of these frames is that the horizontal stay to which
the shoulder straps attach can be adjusted vertically.

I'm not sure what you mean by second horizontal stay; I don't think any
Kelty pack had more than the crossbar with the shoulder-strap attachment,
the bar at the top of the pack, and (on some models) the "frame extension,"
which added another bar (the "handle" that Greg mentioned) a few inches
above the top of the packbag.

> It would be trivial to add stabilizing straps to the 77 Kelty pack. Simply
> sew the strap on the shoulder strap just before the shoulder and attach
them
> to the vertical center stays. I make this suggestion in an effort to help
> out the 77 thruhikers on their mandatory 2003 thruhike.

Much appreciated. I just might try it!