[pct-l] 1977 Thruhike disqualified. Go back and do it again.

A Yoke shoulder suspension system is typically used on an upscale internal
frame pack. The shoulder straps proceed over the shoulders and down the back
meeting in the center of the backpack creating a "Y", hence Yoke system.
Usually the exact location on the backpack where the yoke meets is
adjustable since, with most internal frame packs, the relationship of the
pack bag to the waist belt is fixed. Moving the Y [the location where the
two shoulder straps meet] up lengthens the effective length of the pack
while moving it down shortens the effective length. Understanding the theory
of carrying a load, one BIG benefit of the Yoke system is that it allows
salesmen to sell packs that don't really fit. Lenghting the pack length will
allow the pack to be worn by a hiker who is too tall but the load will be
too low. A real benefit of the Yoke system, however, is that the shoulder
straps are in contact with the hikers body over both the front and back of
the shoulders. This makes the pack feel like it is more "connected" to the
body, a condition which many hikers like, [at least initially when they try
on the pack before buying it] and does in fact add a modicum of control of
the load [most of the load control attributed to internal frame packs comes
from their lower center of gravity. This is why internal packs are better
for off trail scrambling but inferior for on trail walking]. Obviously the
problem with the Yoke approach is that there is nothing to prevent the pack
from pulling back on top and creating pressure on the shoulders when it
does. To overcome this, pack manufacturers add stabilizing straps that run
from the shoulder straps to the top of the pack bag. These stabilizing
straps should run upward from the shoulder at a 45 degree angle to the bpack
bag. This is to avoid shoulder compresson when the pack pulls backward.

With the Kelty Tioga SOME pack length adjustment was available by moving the
hip belt up or down a bit but, in reality, one simply needed to be the right
height for it to fit properly. Later Tioga's provided two horizonal stays
and the straps could be attached to either of them but this was only
marginally better. This is why most women hate external frame packs. They
don't fit. Although Dick Kelty was the inventor and pioneer of the hip belt,
the Jansport people soon designed a better pack. On the Jansport pack the
horizonal member is adjustable vertically as are the swing arms. It is
possible to set the pack length exactly and position the load relative to
the shoulders, up or down as desired.

Looking at the 77 Kelty Kids, it is clear that the pack lengths are too
short. Dick had not yet added that second horizonal stay yet. The load is
carried high enough but any pulling back on the pack [a given with a load
carried high]would compress the shoulders. In later years Jansport went to a
yoke system on its external frame packs. The added control was a big plus. A
real strength of the yoke system is the ability to keep the shoulder straps
loose while walking down the trail [the stabilizing straps prevent the pack
from tilting backward] while tightening the straps [and loosening the
stabilizing straps somewhat] over rough terrain.

It would be trivial to add stabilizing straps to the 77 Kelty pack. Simply
sew the strap on the shoulder strap just before the shoulder and attach them
to the vertical center stays. I make this suggestion in an effort to help
out the 77 thruhikers on their mandatory 2003 thruhike.

And to John who wants a custom pack custom fit to his body, I will loan my
Jansport frame.