[pct-l] CA sections PQ, OR section A, B. correction

Correction: The cabin I mentioned on the CA/OR border is on the left as you head east (north)
Frank
  Frank Kroger <fkroger1999@yahoo.com> wrote:
I hiked Sections PQ, northern California between I-5 Dunsmuir and Seiad Valley and found them basically passable, I was happy to have my ice ax for crossing the higher elevations in the Marble Wilderness.
In southern Oregon the trail is free enough of snow to be followed between Seiad Valley, I-5 and Oregon State route 140. I lost the trail half way between 140 and Crater Lake and turned back because I was running low on food and was close to the time when my family was expecting a phone call from me. There were footsteps showing someone was not far ahead of me and I assume he got through. I also met an Austrian throughhiker who had started at Campo mid April and had made it all the way that far without skipping any parts such as high Sierras. So people are getting through. Also New Zeelander Kiwi seemed to be ahead according to the log books.
In Dunsmuir I stayed at the Travelodge ( pretty sure that was what it was called, on east side of main street through town, just north of the Thriftway store). It is also close to the post office.
Duinsmuir has a Thai restaurant, west side of the main street through town, right down town. I receved extra noodels at no charge when I told them I was PCT hiker.
Castella has only post office, gas station with store.
In Seiad Valley stayed in the "bunk house" at the trailer park next to (east) of store/post office/restaurant. Charge was $10 per night. included sheets on one of three beds, tv (they have large collection of video tapes on loan at no charge), microwave, refrigerator and can opener. Owner's name: Marge.
There is a cabin just before the OR border. Soon after you cross a wooden footbridge you go through some forest, then as you head east you go through a meadow, the cabin is on your right. It is unlocked and has a comfortable mattress on the loft.
At I-5 camped on the lawn at Callahan for $5/night.. Ron and Donna are the owners. Very friendly and helpful. Paid another $5 for shower and clothes wash for which I was lent a bath robe. For the shower had to wait for guests to leave in the morning and then use their room.
The Callahan restaurant has entrees between $10-$20. For $10 you get 5 course spaghetti dinner with all you can eat on the spaghetti for PCT hikers
If you notice the Tibetan temple etc in the valley to the South as you approach I-5 do not bother to go there in the hope of being well received. Ron from Callahan drove me out there (about 20 mile round trip).I was told that they were "not a motel." They do not have the time of day for PCT hikers.
I have gone home for a few days of R&R and plan to return to Kennedy Meadows to fill in the Sierras that I had skipped.
Satellite, Frank Kroger, Berkeley

multipart/alternative
text/html
---