[pct-l] Or-Wa snow

In a message dated 6/25/02 2:52:54 AM, svein.eriksen@creuna.no writes:

<< Hi, we're going to Or/Wa for a month, flying to Portland. Expect to hike
for 2-3 weeks. Maybe/preferably on the PCT. Does anyone have any snow
level info about Northern Oregon and Washington?

I've thought about the section around Mt. Hood, or maybe Mt. Jefferson
going north (which means passing Goat Rocks). Hiked Wa in July 98, does
anyone know the snow levels this year compared to 98?

Still a lot of snow above 5500' -- about 3 to four feet at Glacier Basin on
Mt Rainier. Goat Rocks looks like yet another late August meltout
  The Rainier limb went well, except that the timing of the weather could not
have been worse. Due to the 9 to 5er's only being able to go over the
weekend, we were locked into a schedule and expected the mountain to go along
but she had other ideas. Due to our obstinateness, she teasingly led us on in
perfect weather to base camp. We arose at midnight, and by a.m. we were at
12, 500. Then the weak front went through and a fog cloud cap enveloped the
summit. As we climbed to 13,500 , the fog became so thick you could see only
2 to 3 feet. We came to a giant schrund with a 4 ft step up on a questionable
snow bridge. Above he schrund, the wanded trail completely disappeared and it
was decision time. Do we risk becoming completely disoriented in the fog and
getting lost? Do we risk wandering around in a major crevasse field with
virtually zero visibility at nearly 14000 ft or turn back? Since I had a
beautiful Finnish woman in the prime of her life and a young father of 2 on
my rope, it was a simple decision to make.
 But of course the mountain wasn't quite done with her schedule lesson.  We
descended back to our camp at 10000 ft and the cloud dissipated.
  But at least Pia finally found something that was a bit strenuous for her.
I added her to the large list of people who have said that climbing Rainier
was the hardest thing they ever did!