[pct-l] packs: comfort vs weight: Why packs work

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:04:23 -0700, you wrote:

>Now that everybody has voiced their opinion of which pack is best, I'll
>present some facts.
>
>internal frame packs don't save weight over external frames. The general
>rule is that comparing external and internal frame packs, for a given weight
>and comfortable, 30% of the weight should be carried on the shoulders of an
>internal frame pack wearer. To some this is no problem at all. To other it
>is very uncomfortable.

Actually this isn't nessesarily true. If your internal frame pack fits
well enough you can put as much weight on the hips as with an external
frame pack and take as much weight off the shoulders. Plus since it
rides closer to the back and weight can be loaded lower than with an
external its a much better choice for cross country trippin'

>My personal experiences:
>One solution I tried was to use was to combine an external pack frame with a
>lightweight pack bag. I simply stripped the old codura pack off a Jansport
>Yosemite and created a lightweight replacement. This saved 2.5 pounds. The
>resultant external frame pack was 3.5 pounds and carried better than any
>commercial internal frame pack [Ladies: this may not be true for you, but
>then it may]. Since old Jansport D3, D-5, Yosemite and other packs that used
>the swingarm suspension are available at garage sales for cheap, I believe
>that this is an approach for someone going not ultra-light. You may also be
>able to find the old A-16 frame and belt.

Nice.

John