[pct-l] packs: comfort vs weight

Used a kelty external frame on the pct. It was very easy to carry and
carried heavy loads, about 80 lbs, well- whch frame packs do since
they put the weight on the hips. Moved to a lightweight 3000 cu in 3
lb mountainsmith and sold the kelty. Used it for a long time since I
started packing light but not near as comfortable as the kelty even
with a light load. Couldn't carry a decent load, over 30, with it ver
well since it had a cruddy suspension system. Just moved to a 6000 cu
in Lowe Contour IV after getting throwing the mountainsmith and it is
a great pack. With a light load, 25 to 30 lbs, you don't even feel it
and a heavy load, over 50, rides really well and is still very
comfortable. Much more comfortable than the kelty or mountainsmith. I
think you are right in buying a pack for comfort and ignoring how much
it weighs. Those few pounds you save will punish your back with
something you carry day after day all day long and you aren't limited
in what you carry and it can be a multipurpose pack. Plus you get a
better suspension system, better materials and the pack will simply
last longer. You can easily save weight on other items like you tent,
stove, sleeping bag, cookware and clothing. There are three things I
don't like to scrimp on- warmth and confort of sleeping system, a
comfortable roomy pack and easy to wear footwear. All those things you
have use for hours every day and all will really cramp your style if
there are shortfalls.

John