[pct-l] Trail update 6/15

Trail update from Ben "the wandering jew" and Moe "Mojo"

Made it to Pooh's Corner after a short day from the backside of granite chief.  Snow is still a problem but melting fast.  The high Sierras as a whole is still dangerous in some parts and impassable without good snow skills and traversing techniques (ie map and compass).  I wouldn't recommend any of the high sierra sections to the 20 degree sleeping bag carrying ultralight summer hikers quite yet.  when I went through I couldn't even fish the lakes (still frozen)  and some of the on-trail stream crossings bordered on suicidal.  I hope those attempting the trail now are proficient both in the use of thier survuival and safety gear and the use of common sense (which will minimize the need of the safety gear).

However, for those capable and/or dumb enough to try, the solitude is unbeatable in the otherwise crowded sections.

Crabtree to Vermillion is still snowbound, and creeks flowing with deep fast water.

Yosemite is OK through the valleys (high water) but the passes were questionable  two weeks ago.

the crest to sonora pass is traversable

Sonora pass to Echo lake is hard going in the first 35 miles

Desolation wilderness is the least snowbound area since crabtree meadows and was a pleasure to walk through.  Expect snow on the passes and in the shadows

Bill is on call and Pooh corner is open for visitation.  I haven't seen a shower since Lone Pine and this one is a tie with Donnas!

Moe asnd I are in high spirits and look forward to Northern California, our home turf.

Party on!

This too shall pass-
so live well and be happy
because in life you don't get a second chance