[pct-l] All time

The Chilkoot Trail still exists today.  It has been called
an "outdoor artifact display" because the first section of the trail
goes up a grade that is so steep and long that most people just
started tossing out their gear to save weight.  I have read that pack
weights were much more than 65lbs due to all of the mining and
prospecting  equiptment needed.  Here is a pic that illustrates how
steep it is:
http://www.yukonweb.com/business/lost_moose/big_gifs/chilkoot/75_climb
ers.gif

here is a pic that illustrates how many people there were going for
the gold:
http://www.yesnet.yk.ca/schools/carcross/graphics%
20folder/chilkoot/gldnstrs2.jpg

There are all kinds of crazy stories about that trail:  supposedly a
guy shot himself because the trail was so difficult.  also, there was
a saying that went something like this: "there are two ways into the
klondike...wichever one you take, you'd wish you had picked the other
one."

I read about that trail several years ago and thought that I might
try it some day.

peace,
dude