[pct-l] RE: Jack Fair's house

>>Let's see, I've got to tie this in to the PCT somehow --- Uh, anyone out
there know if a fox tail pine is the same as a bristle cone pine? <<

No. Different species. According to thru-hiker Damian Choinard of '99,
bristlecone pines favor the drier conditions near treeline that occur east
of the Owens Valley, such as in the well-known Ancient Bristlecone Pine
Forest (White Mountains). Foxtail pines like it dry as well, but apparently
need - and receive - a bit more water (much of it from snowmelt, I'd
imagine) than the bristlecones. The foxtail "barrens" in the Golden Trout
Wilderness are indeed remarkable and surreal, and the interface between
these desert-like forests and the lush green of those golf-course-flat
southern Sierra meadows is stark and dramatic.

http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/

I think Jack Fair's house was made of some other type of wood.

- blisterfree

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:59:34 EDT
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Jack Fair's house

>>Let's see, I've got to tie this in to the PCT somehow --- Uh, anyone out
there know if a fox tail pine is the same as a bristle cone pine? I remember
seeing these stalwart trees in the Golden Trout wilderness and marveled at
how each tree was an individual, sculpted in a unique, bizarre way. <<