[pct-l] Re: Bear canisters

At 12:01 PM -0500 6/11/02, pct-l-request@mailman.backcountry.net wrote:
>They also offer a bag that may be strapped on the outside of a pack =
>anywhere handy, appears to have some rings, straps, attachment points - =
>costs $18 but I think you could make your own easily enough.

I don't know if it's the same army green one I bought, but I found the
bag did not hold up to the kind of abuse that occurs to anything
hard & bulky strapped to the back of an external frame pack.
A lot of times I found I did things which I didn't realize were
abrading the bear can bag... such as, briefly sitting down on a ledge
backed up against a rock cliff; the pack being removed off your back
and dropped to the ground ten times a day; fighting your way through
thick brush that snags on pack attachments; or friction from other
pack attachments. None of this affected the backpack fabric, but
did wear out a bear can bag within one weeklong trip.

     erik

See the PCT/JMT in Virtual Reality at http://www.virtualparks.org/trips/JMT2/