[pct-l] Northwest Mts. Bite

In a message dated 6/1/02 11:48:55 PM, dude@fastmail.ca writes:

<<  Today, there are more climbers than ever and they all
want to summit on the same day during the weekend.  It’s a new risk
that we have all created and tacitly accepted because we all want
what we want when we want it.

I agree. For me it is no longer any fun to do the dog routes. At least not in
a personal sense. The only real joys are in assisting someone in reaching a
life long dream and being around those who are eager to learn, plan and do.
But I get the feeling of being in some sort of extended city park instead of
away from it all.

 ---  We would all like to find the ONE thing that they did wrong and be
able to say "that won't happen to me" because I am smarter, or more
experienced, or in better shape, or know the territory, or whatever.-----
      I look at it just the opposite. I'm thinking that COULD happen to me,
so what can I possibly learn from this to avoid a similar situation. True, I
could never cover all the bases to eliminate all risk, nor would I want to.
I'm not interested in larker's mistakes. I'm interested in lapses of judgment
in those who are experienced, so that I might have some sort of chance to not
overlook the same errors they made

  Had to laugh at the irony of some woman on the radio complaining about
search and rescue people risking their lives to help people who needlessly
put their lives at risk for recreation and tax payers footing the bill. Then
it turns out that a large group of firefighters were climbing Hood that day.
By gosh you would think they would know better!!
  Then someone brought up the subject of Gulf of Alaska fishing. A Coast
Guard search and rescue dude recounted the many times fishing boats had
deliberately ignored warnings, had creaky vessels, overloaded their holds,
etc., causing the need for countless rescues. He even said they would
deliberately run out of fuel so they could get a free tow back into harbor,
thus saving several hundred dollars in fuel costs. Made the recreationalists
look pretty competent and responsible by comparison. But hey, at least the
fishermen were risking their lives for $$$.