From: Bighummel@aol.com [mailto:Bighummel@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 8:36 AM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Sth Cal Conditions

2002'ers:

Typical Southern California Spring conditions;  this weekend temperatures
were in the mid 80's to 90's in inland areas.  This probably melted a lot of

the snow and ice off of Fuller Ridge and other areas.  It is raining lightly

today, perhaps adding a bit of snow or at least stopping the meltoff
temporarily.

I hiked up from the south side to the top of Mt. Baldy (10,064') yesterday.

No snow on top.  Very little patches on the north facing ridges.  Very
little
snow is visible on the PCT in the San Gabriel mountains.  In a couple weeks
there wont be any, unless some serious late storms come through (unlikely).

I suggest that you plan to carry your ice axe across San Jacinto area and
mail it to Kennedy Meadows from Cabazon (or Big Bear if you don't mind
carrying it up several thousand feet of elevation).  It is not likely that
you will need it in the San Bernardino or San Gabriel mountains this year.

Best regards,

Strider