[pct-l] Necessities

How far do you want to take the 'necessity/nicety line?
A few days ago somebody said purists could pare down essentials to deer =
skin clothes and an obsidian knife. You could argue that's too much, =
since we spent most of the last 2 million years naked in the bush =
learning how to take advantage of our opposable thumbs with a rock or a =
stick.=20
That's not for me.
Ultra lite to me means pushing the envelope with your gear, so the line =
between bearable and time to bail becomes quite distinct.=20

I want a heavier pair of boots because I've trashed my ankles too many =
times in running shoes. I can walk just fine in thongs or sandals. I =
could probably get along ok with duct tape on the soles of my feet.=20

I want a shelter that won't blow away or turn into a bathtub when local =
conditions make my choice of campsite less than desirable.=20

I know how to find/make shelter with what I have in my pockets in Alaska =
and survive sub-freezing conditions. I don't want to do that, because it =
would take all my time to do that. Survival is hard work.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---