[pct-l] 'Blister' should be a 4-letter word

       The Class of 2001 has slid into the alumni category and the Class of
2002 is almost on the trail. Soon the planning will be over and the hiking
started...I wish I was out there again this year.
       However, as cruel as it may seem, if this year is like all the rest,
hikers will be talking a lot about their feet within a few days of
starting....and for 95% of them it will not be a joyful discussion. Water
will be a top subject also, but that is expected, whereas all of the foot
concerns might come as a surprise. I had three blisters in the first two
weeks and then got one 'big' one (my blowout on the PCT turnpike) during the
Hat Creek Rim day in N. CA. I felt myself lucky...maybe the 700 training
miles helped.
       The folks on this list have a great amount of foot experience
(unfortunately) and it would be a good, timely topic to kick around.  S. CA
brings some unique conditions conducive to feet problems. So how 'bout
it...bits of wisdom on: blisters, swelling, techniques that worked or didn't,
supplies that worked/didn't...etc.

       Blisters and swelling will probably once again be the big issues.
Almost everyone had blisters...and supplies for it. Some experienced feet
swelling to such an extent that they outgrew their shoes. You may want to
surf the net now so that you know the locations in S. CA that have your shoe
brand so you will know where to hitch to. Or carry 1-800 numbers with you so
you can place an emergency order for an upcoming resupply. We spent an extra
day at Warner Springs Ranch (great place) while Dave got a ride into the town
of Temecula to get a pair of NB804s. His feet had ten blisters and swollen
from a 9EE to 10EEEE.
       Cabazon has been both slammed and supported in postings lately. One
plus is an outlet mall nearby (in Banning?) that includes a Nike outlet I
believe.
       My journal entry on May 3rd, 2002 (day 7) stated, " ...we can't get
any of it (blister supplies) to stick to his (Dave's) feet. He'll bandage up
his feet every morning and by the first break all of the tape, moleskin,
band-aids, duct tape, etc., are off...everything just sweats right off."
What helped us was finding a flexible bandaid made by J&J under the BandAid
name. It came in a silver box with either 4(large) or 6(med) for almost $5. I
didn't mind the cost after I saw how well they worked. It was like putting a
skin graft on and it would stay on at least three days. Anyway, that's my
endorsement.
       Also, as an ex-Hospital Corpsman who served with an USMC infantry
company...we took the opportunity to air out those puppies whenever we took a
break. I didn't do that the day we crossed Hat Creek Rim and I directly
contribute that to my 'blowout'.
       We also rinsed socks daily and tied them on the back of our packs to
dry. I remember filtering water from a not-so-great spring in OR and not
rinsing out our socks...in hindsight I thought it strange, the water had been
good enough for us, but not our socks. Socks were the only change of anything
we had...we each carried at least two pair at all times. I quit wearing
liners and sent them home by the third resupply...they seem to work for some.
       Planning gets you to Campo, but your feet get you to Canada. Enjoy
your adventure Class of 2002...may your feet be as strong as your will.
Take of those puppies...and one another,
Jerry
PCTx2 '76 & 01
http://members.aol.com/PctTrek

multipart/alternative