[pct-l] Palm Springs aerial tramway

<Does anybody know if it is convenient or even desirable to use the
tramway to get to/from Palm Springs for a resupply stop in lieu of
Idyllwild?>

I obviously have too much time on my hands at this point - but intrigued by
the idea I looked up the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway website, which
eventually got me to a Palm Springs transportation opportunities site.  It's
only 5.5 miles from the top of San Jacinto to the tram, and an easy downhill
(not to mention a reasonable uphill) - and a nice trail, at least it was the
last time I hiked it in '97.  However, the elevation loss is likely greater
than to Idyllwild (somebody can help me here), plus the fact that you have
to climb UP from the PCT to get to the top of the mountain.  Well, walk up
the trail, whatever.  You could conceivably hop up & over San Jacinto, go to
the tram, by a round trip ticket (not cheap, btw), ride down to the foot of
the tram, call a cab from the list on
http://www.palm-springs.org/transportation.html (also probably not cheap) or
find out if the Coachella Valley transit serves the tram station, and get to
Palm Springs.  Alternatively you could strike up a conversation with someone
on your tram ride down and get a ride to town from them....but consider
first bathing in the tram's restroom ;-) !

The website for the tram is http://www.pstramway.com/index.html if you
haven't gone there already.

It's an interesting proposition.  I would imagine Palm Springs to be
somewhat less through-hiker-friendly than Idyllwild.  You should also
probably think about the psychological effect of going down to the desert
floor, riding back up again, only to hike up & over San Jacinto and THEN do
the 9,000' descent.

Just some thoughts -

Christine