[pct-l] Re: 2-lb Dana Design Racer-X Backpack Review

Karen Borski wrote
> "Rather than a full-blown pack, the Racer X is a
> lightweight frame outfitted with a mesh pouch that
> cradles a stuff sack containing your gear. Tighten the
> straps around the pouch, and a small gear sack
> (roughly 1,000 cubic in.) nests inside. Loosen the
> pouch, and a 3,000- to 4,000-cubic-in. sack fits the
> space. That leaves you with just one light pack (34 oz
> plus stuff sack) equally fit for a weekend outing or a
> week of ultralight backpacking. All you need to tool
> up for different trips is a selection of good,
> waterproof stuff sacks."

That is an interesting concept but I would have trouble paying $165 for
what sounds like basically an empty frame. The reason I find it
interesting is that I have been looking at OR's Hydroseal Cell Blocks in
the Campmore catalog (p188 of Gift 2001). They advertise these as a
"rectangular alternative to stuff sacks and ditty bags). It seemed to me
that you could "build up" a very versatile lightweight modular pack using
these and some kind of a frame (first got the idea from Brawny's system
on their web site). The Cell Blocks come in sizes from 60 cu. in. to 1100
cu. in., are light weight, water "proof", have a large zipper closure and
should stack like building blocks. The 500 cu. in. one weighs 3 oz. and
costs $13.00, 800 cu. in. is 4 oz. and $14.00 and the 1100 cu. in. one is
4.2 oz and $15.00 (the weights come from OR's web site. One could
experiment with different sizes and combinations, turned in different
directions, etc. to come up with a day pack, weekend pack or thru hiker
pack. My initial idea was to come up with some way to attach them
together directly, without any outside covering (easy access, lighter
weight) and then attach the complete set to some kind of a frame. Maybe
this isn't a workable idea - any thoughts? A couple of 1100's, an 800 and
a couple of 500's would give a 4000 cu. in. "pack" for $70, weighing 18.4
oz., not counting the frame.
Vic