[pct-l] 2-lb Dana Design Racer-X Backpack Review

The Dana Design Racer-X (2 lbs 2 oz., $165) is a pack
that was reviewed in a recent Backpacker Magazine
(review excerpt attached below).   I got one of these
babies for Christmas!  So, here's my report for any
interested from the perspective of a thru-hiker
wanting to go ultralight without sacrificing  pack
comfort.

Backpacker Magazine Review Excerpt:
"Rather than a full-blown pack, the Racer X is a
lightweight frame outfitted with a mesh pouch that
cradles a stuff sack containing your gear. Tighten the
straps around the pouch, and a small gear sack
(roughly 1,000 cubic in.) nests inside. Loosen the
pouch, and a 3,000- to 4,000-cubic-in. sack fits the
space. That leaves you with just one light pack (34 oz
plus stuff sack) equally fit for a weekend outing or a
week of ultralight backpacking. All you need to tool
up for different trips is a selection of good,
waterproof stuff sacks."

My first thought was to take all of my (3.7 oz.)
waterproof/bombproof OR stuff sacks that normally go
inside my big pack and lash those directly to the
frame of the Racer.  I did so, having one OR sack each
for the sleeping bag, clothes and food; three total.
My Z-rest was lashed on top, 2.5-L Platy in the
built-in water bag slot, extra small stuff in the mesh
pouch, pot/stove in the food bag, maps, snacks and
camera in the wet rib (a lightweight mesh wet rib
comes with the Racer, which I was pretty excited about
it).  Tarp/tent hybrid wrapped in ground cloth w/ no
stuff sack.  I even threw on a 3-Liter MSR Dromedary,
as I would need in the waterless stretches of the
Southern California PCT.  Fully loaded for southern
PCT weighs in at 30 lbs.  My base weight, no food or
water, is 15 lbs, down from AT total of 28 lbs and
PCT'00 total of 23 lbs.  For the High Sierra, I will
may opt to use my big pack (5-lb Dana Glacier) or I
may opt to stop in more towns along that section.

The 30-40 lb. fully- and over-loaded configuration (my
worst case scenario; in case I go crazy buying food in
town or I lose my partner) seems a bit wobbly, but
comfortable at a normal walk, so my next thought is to
buy some ultralight sil nylon stuff sacks for the
sleeping bag and food and perhaps one very large sil
nylon sack to hold all smaller stuff sacks along with
clothes (might need to hand-make it).  The advantage
would be overall lighter weight and more stability.

The shoulder straps seemed a bit narrow on the small
size, even for a woman, and the waist belt doesn't
look very cushy.  However, once I had it on for a few
minutes I didn't notice the hip belt.  Size was good;
I have a 14" torso, so I was actually surprised that
their "2-sizes fit all" worked for me. The shoulder
straps remain to be proven.  The nice mesh pockets on
the back could be made a bit larger.  The compression
straps that hold gear onto the frame seem very
well-placed and adaptable.

There have been a lot of nay-sayers telling me that
this pack couldn't hold 30 pounds of gear, but it
feels much more comfortable than the GoLite packs and
possibly more stable than the G4 with 30 lbs.  I have
loaded the Racer up to 40 lbs and it is definitely at
its limit (whereas my "big" Dana is equally
comfortable from 0-60 lbs), so the Racer is definitely
in the ultralight range.  You wouldn't want to take it
out long term with a base weight over 20 lbs.  The
cool thing about the Racer is that you aren't limited
by any volume, just by weight.  Also, you have instant
access to everything in the pack if you decide to lash
stuff sacks to its frame.

This will be my next thru-hiking pack when I hike the
PCT in 2003.

Nocona
GA-ME '98
Mex-Independence '00