[pct-l] Cedar Grove

I wonder why hardly anyone ever mentions Cedar Grove in King Canyon National
Park as a resupply option. The turnoff is at Vidette Meadow, 2.7 miles south
of the trail to Onion Valley (over Kearsarge Pass and on to Independence). It
is 13 miles to the end of the road, and only 3000 feet of downhill (no high
passes to cross!). Then it's a six-mile hitchhike on a busy road to Cedar
Grove where there are Campgrounds, a store big enough for re-supply, a lodge,
a snack bar with burgers etc., a shower, a laundry, and you could probably
mail a parcel there.

It seems to me that a thruhiker could easily get from Vidette Meadow to Cedar
Grove by about noonish, spend the night, and leave at noonish the next day
and get back up to Vidette Meadow at a resonablr hour of the evening. Two
days total. Someone in a hurry might walk get there and back in the same day,
a 26 mile round trip without a full pack. Just the food coming back up Bubbs
Creek. And Vidette Meadow has at least two bear boxes.

And if someone isn't worried about sticking to the PCT proper they could walk
up the Paradise Valley Trail to Junction Meadow and skip Glen Pass, which
would be shorter than returning to Vidette Meadow. I know that part of the
Sierras very, very well. I have started many a trek from Cedar Grove. I would
definitely go to Cedar Grove over Independence. However I wouldn't personally
skip Glen Pass, even with the snowpack. But Cedar Grove is a very viable
option. Has anyone tried it?

SnoLepard

multipart/alternative
  text/html