[pct-l] Water Filter for the PCT

I use a Sweetwater Guardian which I replace the filter each year for normal
hiking use. For a thru-hiker, I would opt. for just a small filter that
screws into your water bottle opening allowing you to just fill and drink.
These little guys are light and very popular with thru-hikers. If you hike
South to North, the water through the desert is alittle rough in areas and
filters are a plus. Farther up the trail, chemicals work fine when needed.
Most finishers ( by a large margin) are not carrying water filters  when they
reach Manning. ( Several Squeeze bottle type water filters are on the market
) One reason for filtering your water early on is Mexican Nationals using the
trail on the first section. They may not be as careful the average long
distance hiker  " When Nature Calls". Any one who has ever looked at the
water from  Pioneer Mall would agree filtering is most helpful.