[pct-l] PCT verses HCM trail

In a message dated 10/11/2001 11:12:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Montedodge@aol.com writes:

> Where were YOU in 72???????

Hehe...  you wouldn't believe it, but I was in Afghanistan!

Part of the last Vietnam draft, I was unfit for duty, 4F (blind in one eye).
Who was I to argue?

Only 19 with the world around me, my first long distance trek would be
overland to Nepal, a trip taken out of the Whole Earth Catalogue.  Just so
happened, I landed in Kabul and fell in love with the people and the country.
 Talk about mountains! Hindu Kush, foothills of the Himalayas.......   They
took their snow measurements from of a page out of the Sierras.

 <A HREF="http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/GeoImages/Powell/PowellAfghan.html";>Images of Afghanistan in 1976-78</A>

Of course it was much different then, they had a pro-western King, educated
in Europe, suave and sophisticated.  I only met kind and generous people.
For the life of me I can't explain why, but I experienced countless times of
"trail magic" from some of the poorest people in one of the poorest countries
on earth.

I went in a used VW camper van and traveled the country and got to see some
awesome scenery, including the giant statues of Bhudda carved from a mountain
face in the Bamian valley and the high elevation lakes at Band Amir.  A
couple places in town had traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for
foreigners (squab instead of turkey).  My daily budget was a $1.50, which
included private room, three meals, smokes and even a few luxuries.

Shortly after my nine month stay, the last couple only signing "Mr. Bob" on
the hotel bills with a promise of money coming from America, the communist
took over while the King was away.  The last 28 years speak for themselves.
End of Shangri-La.

Sly

PS I forget if I had to pay a fine for my 7 month overdue visa.  : )

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---