[pct-l] Bear canisters (was stealth camping)

> From: CMountainDave@aol.com
>
> Hey, you know if the NPS decided it was in their best interest for you to
be
> REQUIRED to carry a first aid kit, water filter, rescue insurance, sturdy
> footwear, proper shelter and outlawed stealth camping (it already is
<snip>

Dave: Your argument is faulty; there's a huge difference here. Requiring
bear canisters in areas where bears are so well trained is to protect the
RESOURCE (the bears), not to protect YOU. Regardless of past policies that
got us into the situation, the situation is real, and canisters provide one
of the few reliable ways to protect the resource.

> consequenses go, there are none if you just have a little civil
disobedience
> imagination such as possibly carrying phony I.D. and simply dispensing
with
> the windy justifications and taking your "lumps". Not that I'm advocating

That isn't civil disobedience; that's just being devious. But you're not
really lodging an effective protest against the policies you dislike. If you
want to do that (and you don't want to go through the legislative/regulatory
channels), wear a sign that says "I'm not carrying a bear canister, and you
shouldn't either!" (or simply "Lose weight now. Ask me how!"). Give the
ranger your real name. (Actually, the whole discussion of enforcement is
moot. When is the last time you saw a a backcountry ranger?!) Fight it in
court.

> WHATSOEVER and allowed bears to lose their fear of man. The simple fact is
> that bear canisters do not in any way keep bears from entering our camps.
> Since they can STILL smell the food in the canister they are going to
check
> it out as long as they have nothing to fear or lose. Besides isn't being

The bears will lose interest after they learn that the canisters are
impenetrable. I have no problem with bears coming into my camp for a visit;
I think it's rather exciting.

> From: Bighummel@aol.com
>
> There is no explanation of this apparent "Requirement", no definitions, no
> descriptions, no recommendations on where to acquire one and indication of
> potential penalties for non-compliance.  A sheet does explain benefits and
> gives instructions on how to pack one.

Strider: You can get answers to some of your questions at
http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/inyo/vvc/special.htm#bears. I assume you'll be able
to get more specific information from the Sierra Interagency Black Bear
Working Group (SIBBWG) web site when it's up. In the meantime, as Tom R.
pointed out, there is a list of approved bear-resistant storage systems--and
the ordinary Ursack is not on the list. For restricted areas of Yosemite NP,
Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP, and Inyo NF, you need an Ursack Ultra or a hard
canister.

> With my understanding of contract law (extensive, however, limited) this
does
> not constitute a contract that can be enforced.

IANAL, but this isn't a contract issue. It's just like other laws and
regulations. (Where's the contract you signed that said you wouldn't use
that Wrist Rocket to pelt Mad Monte?)

Believe me, guys, I'm not a proponent of schlepping canisters. I've got the
large Garcia, which weighs in at about 5#. Our trip last week avoided the
canister-required areas--and one of the reasons we planned it in that area
is so that we wouldn't have to bring the damned things.

Cheers,
Carl
1977 Kelty Kid