[pct-l] Re: drawing the line

woo hoo !!!!

ok. this is getting good.  I might end up with all
the hikers hating me, but so be it.

>So what exactly have you done recently in the way of
>contributing large amounts of your time and/or money
>to help a community (virtual or otherwise) that gives
>you the moral high ground to criticize?

I don't believe I am critizing from high moral ground.
A free vehicle was used to transmit to me, a hiking and list
enthusiast, a link straight to a request "on the honor system"
for money before I even got a chance to get into the "material".
That is shooting first, and asking questions later.  So I used
this same free vehicle which delivered to me the sales pitch to
voice my opinion about how I feel about free vehicles delivering
sales pitches.  Is this criticizing from high ground? I think not.

> Or do you just take without giving back?

well, I've conciously tried to contribute usefull information to
everyone as soon as I find it out for myself, so that I wouldn't
be just a lurking cajoller.  In the case of the list (75% bull,
25% *usefull* and or *informative* information), I don't think
I'm an abuser.  In the case of the web publisher in question,
taking without giving back is like a largemouth bass taking a
spinner, without a chance to give back - don't send submissions -
SEND MONEY !

>A man's gotta make a living. You make yours by helping
>"Brian Paul + Associates" design "Corporate Headquarters,
>Speculative  Offices, and High Density Housing" ** that often gets
>built on ecologically sensitive habitat.

If you want to bring up the off-topic subject of what I do for
a living, than I must take a moment to defend it.  By the time
I get my hands on a project, it has already been cleared of vegetation
and the bears and bunnys have already been run off by the developers
who purchased the land in the first place - years previous.  And it was
o.k.'d by the community. blah blah blah - everybody's hands are as
dirty as mine.  (especially if you don't clean your keyboard often).
even yours mr. robbins because you probably provide computer services
for companies who rent space we raped. (i'm actually working around some
protected vernal pools in kearny mesa right now) long live the bugs !!!!!
we architects do care !!!!!

>What is wrong with a web publisher hosting credit card ads,
that isn't wrong with an architect helping rape the land?

If Gina's livlihood were in question,  I think my comments could be called
off-base.  It appears Hike the Wild is a hobby, with the potential for being
a money maker if the proper channels (like free advertising to 700+
enthusiasts)
are followed.  Consider my comments either as friendly and please take them
as such, or business like, in which case I'd like to be paid for my
"how to make a money grubbing web site friendlier" consulting services.

Steve

www.hikers_come_one_come_all_with_credit_card_in_hand.com

phew, that was a long one!