[pct-l] San Jacinto Recon. Sunday 4/29

Yesterday we hiked up the Devil's Slide trail
from idyllwild for yet another recon. mission.
Ran into Greg Poirier (AK thru-hiker as delivered
by mr. Rob't Reiss) as he and another hiker from
North Carolina were correcting the wrong turn
they had made toward the summit and heading towards
the Fuller Ridge.  Most of the snow is gone save
a foot 1/2 - 2 ft. in the shaded north slopes.
lotsa tracks though - no problem finding the route.
(wonder what the ridge looks like?????????)
Upon following a backpacker up the final push through
the snow to the summit, we found a quickly clearing
out group of trammers and met none other than
Eric Florence from Kentucky.  (another Mr. Reiss
delivery.)  Interesting observation in the differences
in techniques as the AK hiker had just walked back
up from Idyllwild with a fresh shave and didn't want
anything to do with side-trips, while mr. florence
had hitchiked from 74 and back, and was enjoying
every minute of the summit - solo and all.
pictures to be posted later today.

Steve Courtway