[pct-l] (no subject)

Hi everyone,

  A couple questions:

   I'm still not sure about a sleep set-up w/ a tarp (sorry-still learning).
  If it rains, will a tarp keep all water out?  What about water running
along the ground?  Don't I need at least need some sort of ground tarp or
basic, waterproof sleepingbag sac or bivy(my sleeping bag is not
waterproof)?  Mountain Hardward Stormlite or the Mesh bivy sac is only a lb.
and w/ my tarp and twine(forget the name, but the gold-colored lite stuff),
I think the set-up would be still under 2 lbs.
   Or is a tarp good enough for complete rain protection depending on how I
set it up?

Any help appreciated:)  I know this is old-hat for most of you.

TIA, Michael G.