[pct-l] Golite jacket

I used a Golite rain jacket on our PCT thru-hike last year. I  was intrigued
with its light weight.

My impressions:
-It is truly light in weight. It is also expensive for the amount of
material in it.

-It rips easily. I snagged mine on sierra granite before we go to VVR and
ripped it about 3 inches above the side seam. I also snagged it on my ice
axe. The snags are my problem, not GoLites. But if you buy the jacket
remember to be careful.

-The shoulders abraded where my pack straps were rubbing it. It wasn't just
the seams, it was the material. I didn't think I used the jacket that much
and was disappointed that it didn't hold up better. When we hit rain in
Washington I was constantly soaked. The rain leaked in through the shoulders
and soaked down my fleece. I was cold and packing several pounds of water. I
replaced it in Skykomish with a heavier Columbia waterproof jacket. Life was
much better!

Bottom line - I won't buy another Golite jacket. It was expensive and it
just didn't hold up to the abuse I put it through. (My pack weight ranged
from 23-30 pounds.)

Another thru-hiker said he spoke with Golite when he was provisioning for
the hike. They basically talked him out of using the GoLite jacket unless he
used the complete GoLite philosophy of ultra-lightweight. He wasn't
comforable going to that level of weight and decided to use another jacket.

Marcia used Frogg Toggs after recommendations by Ron Moak and Tony
DiLorenzo. She was satisfied with them. They abraided by the end of the
hike, but were still functional and much cheaper. She is still using them.

We are still not satisfied with the choices of lightweight, breathable,
waterproof rain gear. We continue to experiment with hopes of finding a
better solution before next year.

Ken