[pct-l] North-to-South Thru-hike Advice

>  Also (since I've lived out East all my life), what will the Sierras be
>like in the September/October timeframe?
>
>Jesse

Good luck on your hike!  By early fall, you won't have to worry about heavy
snow on the passes or difficult river crossings.  On the other hand, the
multitude of streams and rivulets that form during snowmelt will have dried
up, so you must make sure that you carry enough water to last between water
sources.  You'll still need to cope with the possibility of afternoon
T-storms, and you should be prepared to deal with a freak early snowstorm.
Daytime temperatures can be very pleasant, but temperatures at night can
drop quite low, even below freezing.  Traditionally, the Sierra "tourist
season" runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day, so as October approaches you
can expect thinner traffic on the trail than you'd find in July and August.
The meadows won't be as vibrantly green as in May but look forward to
stirring sights of the landscape in the low-angle, late-afternoon sunlight!