[pct-l] human waste

Hello Ron -

You said:

> However, even the background literature takes the occasional flights of
> fantasy. Consider the quote from the USFS article "Low-Impact Recreational
> Practices for Wilderness and Backcountry" by David Cole. (
> http://www.wilderness.net/pubs/183.pdf )

Nice web site...thanks for the pointer!

> ------------------
> Toilet paper, as with other non-organic waste, should either be burned or
> packed out. Burial is a less desirable alternative but accepted practice in
> many places.
>
> Important low-impact practices are as follows:
> - Carry appropriate equipment (trowel)
> - Pack out (or burn) non-organic litter (toilet paper)
> - Use toilets if provided
> - Dispose of human waste is a properly located cathole
>
> ------------------------
>
> Now maybe I was asleep in forest products class when the professor said that
> wood pulp was non-organic waste. If so you've got my deep apologies.
>
> Since toilet paper is 99.99999 percent wood pulp,  I'm not clear where the
> non-organic waste comes into play. Also consider that TP is engineered
> specifically to disintegrate quickly...

Hmmmm....obviously you have never used official US government TP <VBG>!  If
I ever need fine sandpaper I go raid the local Post Office...

Interesting point.  I wonder if Mr. Cole really meant to say "un-natural"
instead of "non-organic"?  I wonder if his choice of language might have
something to do with his paper predating the LNT program?

Did you notice how many of the papers in their great library had David
Cole's name on them?

Thanks again for the pointer to the wilderness web site!

Trace No Leaves,

- Charlie