[pct-l] human waste

99 percent of LNT practices are simply common sense and I've got no problem
with them. The issue of traveling through an area without attempting to
overtly disturb it, shouldn't really pose a problem to anyone. Unless
they're trying to get their thrills tearing up the landscape on some
motorcycle.

If you read deep within the background literature, even their analysis of
dealing with human waste isn't all that bad. It's all a matter of
concentration of people and environmental conditions. Simply speaking,
remote areas miles from the trailhead or even the trails themselves, don't
need to be treated the same as a campground. A pretty obvious point.

The primary purpose of deep burial (6 inches) is to prevent the possible
transfer of pathogens that may survive for up to a year in the feces. In
areas off trail or where there is little likely disturbance by others,  a
shallower burial is often preferred. Especially in areas where the surface
organic layer is thin.

However, even the background literature takes the occasional flights of
fantasy. Consider the quote from the USFS article "Low-Impact Recreational
Practices for Wilderness and Backcountry" by David Cole. (
http://www.wilderness.net/pubs/183.pdf )

------------------
Toilet paper, as with other non-organic waste, should either be burned or
packed out. Burial is a less desirable alternative but accepted practice in
many places.

Important low-impact practices are as follows:
- Carry appropriate equipment (trowel)
- Pack out (or burn) non-organic litter (toilet paper)
- Use toilets if provided
- Dispose of human waste is a properly located cathole

------------------------

Now maybe I was asleep in forest products class when the professor said that
wood pulp was non-organic waste. If so you've got my deep apologies.

Since toilet paper is 99.99999 percent wood pulp,  I'm not clear where the
non-organic waste comes into play. Also consider that TP is engineered
specifically to disintegrate quickly. If it didn't you'd have a much bigger
problem with your sewers backing up. (From three years working in a major
sewage treatment plant.)

The real problem is NOT teaching people how treat TP so that is beneficial
and not a potential eye sore.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
http://www.fallingwater.com/