[pct-l] Nike - The great conspiracy

Ron, thank you for your fair and informative response to my admittedly
emotional post. I do see the good that may come from such a
corporate-consumer relationship as in this case Nike is offering. I've done
a bit of wear-testing myself in the past, and know well that the experience
can be of mutual benefit. But in the larger picture, by associating with any
company in a manner that would bolster them in some way, we are either
directly or tacitly endorsing them. It is up to us individually to determine
whether or not that endorsement sits right with our conscience, for instance
based upon the company's ethics.

Of greater concern to me than how and why Nike is pushing their agenda
through the PCTA, is the simple fact that Nike is pushing their agenda. And
by agenda, I'm not implying a conspiracy, but just the furthering of their
influence over the consumer. If customers want Nike, then so be it, and if
some of the readers of this list should land happy shoes as a result, then
the request for testers will have proven itself a well-intentioned gesture.
I've no doubt that it was. But we also have a choice. We can stop and ask
ourselves whether the offer is worthy of our participation. We of course do
not have to grab the prize dangling in the air, simply because it is there
for the taking. My analogy, based on another gripe of mine, would be if
Exxon were selling gas at half price, I still wouldn't patronize the company
because of longstanding ill-feelings over the Valdez oil spill. I'd simply
go somewhere else, probably right up the street a block. The modern world is
rife with choices. Choices involving where our money goes. If we don't like
the business of one business, we needn't look too hard before finding a
better one. I can complain all day about Nike or Exxon, and possibly feel a
bit better afterward, which I do. =)  But the only thing of any real
consequence is my choice.

- blisterfree