[pct-l] Old Station

The Old Station Post Office was primo.  It's hours are as listed in the town
guide, including the Saturday hours, which are not listed on the post office
door.  But the postmistress shows up on Saturday anyway, and anyone who
comes to the post office on Saturday got a homemade brownie.  There's a PCT
register at the post office as well.

The store next to the post office is reasonably well stocked.  Doug, the man
who runs the store, is very hiker friendly.  The resort looked nice in a
rustic sort of way, but I didn't stay there.  The restaurant, Indian John's,
was not very friendly, nor very good.  I highly recommend the Old Station
Cafe. It's an excellent Mom and Pop restaurant about a mile north of the Hat
Creek Campground in the little settlement that is actually Old Station.

I actually missed the lateral to the Old Station Post Office and resort, so
ended up coming out on the highway across from Hat Creek Campground.  It was
a Saturday morning and the Post Office didn't open until early afternoon, so
I went up to Old Station Cafe for a great breakfast, then hitched south to
the Post Office.

I hiked out in late afternoon and stopped at Subway Cave for water.  The
cave is a not to miss attraction.  It's actually a Forest Service park, and
is very nice.  Make sure you bring your light into the cave.  They have
reflectors to guide you through (it's really a lava tube, not a cave), but
you need a light to illuminate the reflectors.  I camped at a nice little
spot between Subway Cave and the PCT, which afforded an early climb up to
Hat Creek Rim for a long hiking day.

happy trails,   Hobbit