[pct-l] Re: Southern Section and Immigrant Worries

Other than stealth camp, what do you propose hikers do to avoid those that
want to harm them. Pack a gun?  I say it's the luck of the draw. There's not
much you can do about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There's far
more risk driving on the streets of L.A. or just being in some bar when some
drunk picks a fight. Guess I'm just a Fatalist. I'll quote a famous
mountaineer by the name of Paul Petzdolt (Grand Tetons): When it comes to
risk, "No matter how careful you are sooner or later you'll throw snake eyes"
The key word is 'careful'. You just accept that there is risk and go ahead
and do it anyway. Or don't. The choice is yours. But man life would be dull
if we didn't gamble a little bit now and then. I ease my fear by knowing I'll
someday throw snake eyes (heart attack, cancer, hit by drunk driver,
whatever) no matter how careful I am (proper diet, exercise, defensive
driving) accepting it, and going on anyway. Besides, I've got one hell of a
good Guardian Angel who's put in a LOT of overtime on my behalf. She probably
whines to God about me all the time. ("You'll never believe what that
dumb**** got into THIS time") So go ahead and stealth camp if it eases your
mind the first week or so. It's not really a bad idea and it certainly can't
hurt anything. But don't let fear stop you from having a great experience. Ya
just gotta trust that it'll all work out. ENOUGH RAMBLING, ALREADY!!