[pct-l] RE: Seeking advice on MSR stoves

John, I commend you for your nutritional savvy (whole grains are FAR better
than minute rice or angel-hair white flour pasta for staying power) - BUT
the problem, as you anticipate, is cooking them.  Your proposed regimen of
pre-boiling, soaking, waiting, etc., may work - but you may find that it's
too much trouble when you're either tired or want to be hiking instead.

In '94 I experimented with pre-cooking brown rice at home, then dehydrating
it & packaging it with other dried vegetables & sauce for a soup.  My
results were less than satisfactory.  The rice grains didn't rehydrate well.

Here's a suggestion, though - you might try grinding a quantity of whole
grains into a mush-mix (like Arrowhead Mills Bear Mush) and soaking THAT.
The caveat is that the ground grains will go rancid much faster.  However,
for your first six weeks on the trail you might appreciate the nutrition.

After having gone to South America a couple of years ago, & eaten quinoa in
soup, I'm interested in trying it in the mountains.

Christine Kudija