[pct-l] MSR stoves, whole grains, veggies

Thanks for all the advice on the dragonfly. I decided to get it. On the
subject of cooking whole grains, why not put them in a plastic bottle with
water in the morning and let them soak in your pack? Do a couple of trial
runs to find out how long you can soak it before it becomes mushy. It works
with beans, reduces the cooking time down to 20-30 minutes. I eat alot of
beans, split peas, lentils, steel cut oatmeal, cracked wheat, etc., when I
pack, and presoaking really saves fuel. Usually two 22 oz fuel bottles last
about a week to ten days. Does anyone carry fresh veggies when they pack? I
haven't found a good way to keep them from rotting after 2 or 3 days. Roots
like potatos and carrots seem to keep pretty well though although they do
get soft after a few days.

Jhon