[pct-l] Tarp v. Tent

<<  I ... would like your opinion on the proponents of
 carrying a tarp versus a tent on a thru-hike.  I have always preferred a
tarp
 to save weight, but wonder whether this would be best all the way through. >>

I vote for the tarp (surprise!) and suggest you use a poncho for raingear AND
tarp to save weight.  Take a look at my poncho/tarp plans at: <A
HREF="homestead.juno.com/roy.robinson/Main.html">
homestead.juno.com/roy.robinson/Main.html</A>.

One nice thing about a tent is that you can hide from the mosquitos that can
make your life really miserable in the Sierra, Oregon and ... well, anywhere
there's water or snowmelt on the PCT.  I use a head net during the day to
minimize DEET exposure, and carry mosquito netting for use at night with the
tarp tent.  You can see how it's rigged in the picture I've included with the
plans.

There's no need to make the poncho if you don't want to.  A long poncho from
Campmor (or similar) can be modified to use as a tarp by adding edge grommets
and strengthening the corner ties.