[pct-l] Lone Pine via Trail Pass

>Do any day-hikers or circuit hikers ever drive to Horseshoe Meadows Parking
>lot?

yes, that seems to be very common. The hitching here is very hit and miss.
"Miss" means having to wait several hours, but it's not worth doing the 20+
mile road walk. A long wait for a ride will virtually always be faster than
the walk. Much more often however, people are going by quite frequently. I
would camp a few miles before Trail Pass so you can get down to Horseshoe
Meadows as early in the morning as possible. Ask around at the campground or
parking lot about a ride - which i didn't do because i'm shy about these
things - i walked right through all the activity there, went down the road
about 500 yards and waited for a car to come buy. Got a ride in 30 minutes
(first or second car). Getting back to the trail can be more tricky. Some
have suggested going to the FS Ranger Station and asking around there. I
lucked out and had a friend me us in Lone Pine and got a ride back up to HM.

>Also, does this parking lot close through late spring?

I get the impression that in a low to average snow year, the area becomes
active by June 1st (which was the case last year). In a super hight snow
year that can be delayed by 2-3 weeks. So far, it looks like that won't be a
problem this year.

wc