[pct-l] Down vs Synthetic

I've used a 20 degree down bag for over 20 years and it has never gotten wet,
even in some mighty big rainstorms in the Olympics where everything else I
carried got wet. I put it in a garbage sack inside my pack in wet areas. I
use a tent and when it rains I stick the bag in a bivy sack just in case and
when it REALLY REALLY rains (and water inevitably gets inside the tent) I put
the bottom half of the bivy inside a garbage sack. The bivy also makes the
bag warmer in cold weather. In the Olympics, some people carry a tarp, too,
to cover the tent. Not too many people string up just a tarp, but I have seen
people just throw an 8x10 tarp over their bag (on a ground cover) and let it
pour overnight. Another obvious advantage of a down bag is its compactness.
My 20 year old bag is nearly shot and I'm strongly thinking of replacing it
with a Feathered Friends Hummingbird