[pct-l] Re: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 need some info

> From: "JoAnn M. Michael" <jomike@snowcrest.net>
I have a non hiking husband who worries, a lot, while I'm gone.
> JoAnn

JoAnn
You have already proved that you can survive difficult situations so I think
that you "are in the know" as much as anybody else.  To placate your husband
you could bring

A cell phone - Motorola used to make, and probably still does, a solar
battery for one of their models.  Makes it lighter than carrying a charger
unit with the newer ultralite models? - just a guess.
or a signal mirror - you can take a course on how to use it
or one of those flashlights that can be seen for a mile or more
or flares - also good for scaring off bears
matches for a smoky fire
and a whistle in case of injury off trail
or you could listen to a radio without earphones and someone will find you
to tell you to turn it off
Helen