[pct-l] Need some advice

 JoAnn, a non-gender specific incident that happened to me while I was on
the JMT.  I spent the night camping with an older gent out on a section,
celebrating the 30th anniversary of his JMT thru-hike. As I was hiking much
faster than him, and also going out to Bishop for resupply, he gave me $2
and asked me to phone his wife and pass on that he was doing fine and
having a good time. I ended up talking to the answering machine, but I
assume she got the message.
OTOH, I got nuked in a horrific thunderstorm while hiking up in Quebec
(roads closed, power out for three days, etc; type of storm. Won't go into
the miles of blowdown I was clambering over). I asked some dayhikers to
call my friends who had left me on the trail, so they would know I was
still alive, but they never got called.
So while this system works, you don't really want to count on it, but it's
probably worth a shot...

skeeter