[pct-l] Seeking Advice on PCT footwear

Rick,
Just keep this in mind when searching for proper footwear:

How heavy is your pack weight going to be on average?

See you cannot go with cross training (trail running shoes) if your pack weight
is going to be over 30 to 35 pounds. Trail shoes don't support above this
weight. You'll have arch problems, and you'll wear them out faster. (Though you
will still probably being going through 3 to 4 pairs of shoes)

But if your weight is under 30 to 35 pounds a good shoe would be any comfortable
cross trainer that has ample support to carry the weight that you expect to be
carrying. Ideally you want to look for a non-gortex, extremely breathable shoe
or boot for the hotter and drier stretches such as southern CA and Northern CA.

For the High Sierra (Northern Oregon and Washington) a more rugged, gortex foot
wear might be a better option due to the heavy snow pack and wet conditions.
"With a more rugged boot you are able to drive your heals into the snow on
decent and your able to get better footing in snow cups." A lighter weight trail
shoe is more opt to slip and slide and create more problems in snow conditions.

Ideally, what you really what is extreme breath ability in drier areas and
support and traction in the wetter and snowy areas. For warmth on your feet look
into sock liners, (helps prevent blisters) and a thick rugged hiker sock (wool,
polyester, etc.) Be sure to try on footwear with these kinds of socks for
maximum comfort when sizing. Be picky! There is a thousand boots and companies
"FIND WHAT FITS AND WHAT IS COMFORTABLE!"

Boot and Cross Training shoe companies to look into:
Lowa, Tecnica, Vasque, Timberland, Raichie

For socks:
Therlo, Smart Wool, Ultramax, Wig Wam

Hope that helps:-)

Valerie