[pct-l] Seeking Advice on PCT footwear

I'm starting at Campo on May 10th, and plan to hike about 1100 miles this
year. I'd like to hear good argument/discussion about what footwear to
consider. While hiking the AT in the mid 90's I wore a pair of Solomon
Adventure 7 hiking boots and also carried a pair of Merrill sandals for
around camp and use in water.

I'd especially like to hear from those who used trail running shoes. Since
the possibility of a late season snowstorm still exists during the first few
weeks, how would you/did you handle this? Did you also carry another pair of
footwear? If so, was it heavier hiking boots for snow, or simply something
lighter like sandals. I tend to easily get cold hands and feet (it's a
medical condition)and can prettty much do whatever I want outdoors as long
as I dress appropriately.

Also, how do trail running shoes fair in the Sierra snowfields, when
everything is likely to be frozen and slippery many mornings and slushy and
wet later on in the day. Given this year's current lower snow depths, how
much snow is really likely if this trend continues? Can one realistically
expect to get up past Kennedy Meadows before encountering much? Even if the
probabilities are low for snow early on, how does one plan for the
"unexpected exceptions"?

Perhaps this will start a new thread. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Rick Hubbard

Rick Hubbard
P.O. Box 1444
Stowe, VT 05672