[pct-l] Radio on the trail

A radio on the trail, sheeeezzzzz!!!!!!

I wouldn't bring a radio, an MP3, a CD, a DVD, a 240Z or my BVDs!!!!

On the trail, in the first few days, you find out quickly which things you
miss the most: pizza, cheeseburgers, peaches and ice cream and even music,
mostly music.

After being out about 2+ weeks the cravings start to go away, the sounds of
nature start to ring louder, the little things start to get noticed that you
didn't notice before.

Your mind, initially bored, in shock and starving from the absence of
distractions that you were accustomed to being bombarded with, starts to
focus.  At first the focus concentrates on the answers to the little things:
- WHY am I really doing this?
- WHAT do I really want to get out of this?
- WHAT will I feel if I face the loss of my life out here?

Then the big things start to invade your thoughts and you find yourself
spending days and days on just one finite subject, like:
- Why are we here?
- What do I want to do for the rest of my life?
- What are my priorities?
- Do I want to get married, have children, work in the city, country,
outdoors, go play basketball in Europe, become a trail bum, etc.
- Why do I fear death?

When was the last time that you had the extreme pleasure of absence of
distractions to just focus your thoughts on one subject for more than one
day, one hour, or ten minutes?

IMHO, leave the distractions at home, with the TV, the newspapers, the
traffic jams, the cheese burgers, the pizza, the beer, Jethro Tull, Jimmy
Buffet and standing in line to go anywhere to do anything.  I even leave my
watch at home.  It's a distraction too!  I can keep track of the day of the
week with a little pencil and paper and why do I care what time it is?  You
30 mile-per-day'ers have an answer to this, I don't.

Greg "Strider" Hummel