[pct-l] the Trail Angels legacy

My only visit to VVR in 1999 was a continuation of the great learning lesson
I was having on my PCT pilgrimage.  Witnessing the overwhelming generosity of
people like Jeff and Donna Saufley and Butch and Peggy Wiggins made me
realize forever in the basic goodness of mankind. Oh sure there are a few bad
eggs out there but the goodness of the trail angels dissipates the morning
fog of doubt like a hot summer sun and clears the mind to view the beauty of
the Givers. How can any soul remain cold and hard after being humbled by
trail angel generosity? What a great lesson they taught me.
    When I was at VVR I was in the company of Let it Be and his new found
girlfriend Skunk. She was apparently the creative type and saw Butch welding
in his shop. She had a yen to learn how to weld so she could make works of
art with metal. Butch put some welding gear on her, handed her the welding
tools and gave her instructions for over an hour until she had the basics
down. That night he started the customary VVR bonfire and I sat there bonding
with about a dozen other thru hikers. Where ever you are Butch thanks for
showing me how it ought to be