[pct-l] self arrests

I don't know, maybe I missed something last summer. But I didn't see any
section of the PCT that would require expert knowledge of ice axe usage to
traverse. Granted there are a few tricky places, but even they are quite
manageable if done in the afternoon when the snow has softened
significantly.

Yes small patchy snow can be dangerous. But knowing how to self arrest
probably won't help you either. Knowing how to cut steps will. Or again
waiting until the snow softens.

Joanne writes >> Second, when the time comes to do a self arrest, you do not
have time to
think about it, it has to be an immediate automatic response.  In the last
two accidents that I have seen, both people had had training in self
arrest, and neither one did it when the time came.<<

Joanne by your logic, not only do you need the training, but you need a fair
degree of mountaineering experience also. In most of my experiences with Ice
Axes, if you're in a situation where an ice axe is critical to your
survival, you ought to be wearing crampons or heavy soled boots. Except for
Monte, I'm not sure there are many people packing crampons through the
Sierras.

Those of us who prefer sneakers to boots would rather take a nap and let the
sun do its job.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000