[pct-l] Self-arresting near home

Subject: Re: [pct-l] Self Arrests
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 22:33:50 -0500

>One way is to take a course.  Here is a pointer to one this February in the
Adirondacks... The Adirondacks are hardly in SC, but they are a lot closer
than California!  I'm taking the combo week long program this Feburary (but
I live in Rochester, NY :-)). <

In my experience learning ice axe self-arrest does NOT require that the
student find a lofty mountain range, or even a tall hill. All it takes is a
snow slope, preferably consolidated but not ice hard, with a semi-steep
gradient and a safe run-out. In portions of the country that hold snowpack
for any length of time, these conditions are bound to occur in any number of
places, even in Nebraska for instance. South Carolina might be a tad balmy
most of the time, but certainly self-arrest practice conditions are closely
than it might at first appear.

- blisterfree