[pct-l] Into Thin Air and The Climb

The following has little to do with the PCT but here goes anyway. I just
finished reading The Climb by Boukreev and have also read Into Thin Air by
Krackauer. Having led many climbs, I found both books very interesting.
Although I can't really say what it is like to climb at very high altitude, I
could relate to many of the problems encountered on their disastrous climb of
Everest. I found Into Thin Air to be very credible account. While we can
wrongly question Jon's bravery, we must also remember that he was a client,
not a guide. Scott Fisher (whom I once met and regard with the highest
esteem) simply bit off more than he could chew. It was his first try at
guiding people up Everest and IMHO the sherpas and guides he hired just
didn't do their jobs properly.  Boukreev (who is now dead from an avalanche
on Annapurnna) was basically just a high paid sherpa instead of a GUIDE who
didn't really relate to the clients at all. I found his book to be a large
scale attempt to justify HIS actions. When Scott faltered near the summit due
to exhaustion, nobody took charge. Sherpas should have been sent down to
organize an oxygen resupply, not Boukreev who was second in command. The rest
of the group should have just tagged the summit and started down immediately
but apparently no one insisted upon it. Everyone from Mountain Madness would
have made it back if they had. There was no team effort during the descent,
it became every person for themselves. When people didn't make it back to
camp, SOMEBODY should have organized a team rescue effort. Boukreev tried but
in my opinion not hard enough. He should have ORDERED the people who remained
silent in their tents to help in any way possible, especially those who were
on oxygen, even dragging them from their tents if necessary. I find it
inexplicable that probably about a dozen people who could possibly have
helped out in a rescue mission chose to remain silent in their tents, sherpas
guides and clients alike. Most of the lost people were only 10 flat minutes
away from camp. I also found it disturbing that Boukreev was so goal oriented
that he went ahead and climbed Lhotse. Everyone else was so sickened by the
disaster that climbing another peak immediately afterwards was the last thing
on their minds. He even guided a near disastrous expedition to Everest again
the next year! His book raised one very important argument: Situationalists
vs. legalists. The situationalists say there are no rules in the mountains
just decisions and that rules stifle the individuality and creativeness
sought by those who seek adventure. I agree completely when it comes to solo
efforts or by a team of equals. The legalists say you should go by the book,
and I agree completely when it comes to guiding those who are depending upon
your leadership and judgment to stay alive. Everest should have been a
Legalist style climb.The saddest part of the disaster was that the Japanese
woman and Scott were lost when they could have been saved. From what I've
read and know about him, the world is indeed worse off without the likes of
Scott Fischer in it. Once again, I wasn't there and who am I to judge but
right or wrong, I do. Somehow I must believe that the situation could have
turned out differently and feel the need to give some logic and sense to the
whole mess. I guess I blame the subordinate Mountain Madness guides for not
taking charge when they saw that Scott was faltering and the team effort
disintegrating even though they finally did arise to the occasion and help or
single handily were responsible for the rescue of several people. Boukreev is
both a villain and a hero in my mind sort of like a guy who causes people to
drown and then saves some of them with CPR. And in my mind the Sherpas
certainly must take part of the blame. The head Sherpa Lopsang (also now
dead) was very young and inexperienced so perhaps Scott was missive in giving
him the job. As a mountaineer, I find the entire episode very troubling and a
cause to examine MY motives for and methods of climbing. I welcome rebuttals
to my line of reasoning and one can certainly question my ethics in bad
mouthing dead people who can't defend themselves (although Boukreev made a
mighty attempt to in his book), but please don't just tell me that things
just happen even though that's probably true. I just want to believe that
every accident has a cause and though we all certainly make mistakes, that's
no reason to try not to repeat them again.  I need to believe that
mountaineering is worthwhile even though most view it as inherently unsafe.
Many say that those people shouldn't have been there at all, but we all have
dreams so I just can't agree with that.

To:            PCT-L@backcountry.net