Re: [pct-l] Ski pole self arrests

At 10:09 PM 12/28/00 , Jeff Jones wrote:
>I practiced self arrest with ski poles and it works fine on moderate
>slopes (say 40 degrees or so) with snow that's not too hard.  <snip>
>  but it works pretty well
>on any slope you have any business being on as a hiker.

If you hike the high passes in the Sierra during thru-hiker season, you
will be on slopes much steeper than "40 degrees or so." Whether or not you
have any business being there or not is moot, because you DO have to be
there to do a one season thru hike.

The trail tread is cut in switchbacks, but it is under several feet of
snow, and the snow slope over the rock is much too steep to do a successful
self arrest with a ski pole.

IMHO, YMMV.

-Brick

To:            jjonz@gte.net