Re: [pct-l] Ice axe, Was: Poles

In a message dated 12/28/2000 2:58:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brick@fastpack.com writes:

<< In June 1999 thru-hiker John Lowder fell while descending a snowy pass
 towards Lone Pine from the PCT. He was unable to self arrest and sustained
 injuries that caused his death before he was found.

 No ice axe was found with his body, and I have been told he was using a
 trekking pole instead of an ice axe. That decision probably contributed to
 his death. >>

Perhaps it did.

I talked to some of the hikers John was traveling with immediately prior to
his accident and he elected to leave the group and bail out during a storm,
for whatever reason I'm not exactly sure, but if I'm not mistaken, I believe
he was short on food and thought his chances where better trying to reach
town.  That fact also, contributed to his death.  Needless to say, the
others, a year later were still devastated.

Sly

To:            pct-l@edina.hack.net